Sunrise At Little Bit Farm

Sunrise At Little Bit Farm
THIS IS OUT AT OUR 30 ACRES! OUR FUTURE HOME! THANKS TO RANDI HALL FOR THE PIC!

Thursday, February 14, 2013


                                          Our Plum Trees Loaded With Unripe Fruit

       Last year at plum season I was searching around for something to do with plums besides jelly(as I have plenty of that from last season), and canned plums which I am not very fond of.  I decided to make a plum sauce for meat. I did not have a lot of time, because I was about to leave for camp. So I made it up, and threw it into the freezer. Last night I finally tried it on pork strips.
    The original recipe I came up with involved running the ripe plums through my food mill, and cooking the sauce with onions, garlic, some vinegar, and sugar, and then blending it all together in a blender. Then I returned the sauce to a pot, and cooked it all down real thick. Then I just tossed it into the freezer, and basically forgot about it until last night.
    Last night I blended some of the sauce with soy sauce, and brown mustard, and added just little bit of pineapple juice. Let me just say, YUMMM! This was a fantastic meal! We had the Plum glazed pork strips,  Roasted potatoes, and onions, and salad with Poppy Seed dressing. It was a very good meal!
    Today I am planting Peas and Fava Beans. This year I am planting Tall Telephone shell peas, and Mammoth Melting Sugar peas, and probably some Super Sugar Snap peas.. I like all the different forms of peas. They each have their purpose in the kitchen. The shell peas make a nice table vegetable, especially with new red potatoes, or in cream sauce with baby onions. The Super Sugar Snap peas are wonderful and a nice fiber vegetable, to serve in butter, or as a finger snack. Most of these get eaten right in the garden(by me!). The sugar peas are really nice when making Asian dishes, particularly in stir-fry.
    I am in the process of writing a book. I am writing a cookbook.  When it is completed, I will be releasing the book on CD-Rom. I plan to enforce a 5 year copyright on the book, after which I plan to allow the book in the public domain. I'm not much of a believer in egregious copyright laws. I think it is more than acceptable to earn some money, and then let it go for the use of others. It is my intent to create a series of youtube videos immediately preceding the release of my cookbook. This will be a fun and educational experience I think!

                        Here is one of my gardens from a few years ago. This was quite a productive garden that year. However, the bean teepee did not do as well. Needed to put the mulch down before I put the teepee in.                                


   


No comments:

Post a Comment