Sunrise At Little Bit Farm

Sunrise At Little Bit Farm
THIS IS OUT AT OUR 30 ACRES! OUR FUTURE HOME! THANKS TO RANDI HALL FOR THE PIC!

Friday, February 1, 2013


    Pictured above is an unseasonably warm storm that rolled through the other day.

     I am getting ready for spring. I did get a harvest from my fall garden before it got too cold. Some of the plants are still alive down there, though much neglected. Mostly I harvested mustard greens, which I thought was turnips when I planted it! Did I have mustard!!! I ended up traveling for most all of November, and the family used the garden while I was gone. Sadly while we were all away  celebrating my parents 50th anniversary, some one broke into our house, and also a dog came in and killed all my goats, and most of my chickens. Rule #1 for homesteading: NEVER travel!!!

  When I got back, I was so exhausted(and frustrated) that I didn't work as hard, or as fast as I should have to get all the mustard harvested before we had a hard frost! So a lot of it didn't make it! However, the leavings have made good winter food for the chickens(those that remain), who have been snacking on it regularly. So it has been well mowed.
   
   I have been planting my cold crops indoors already. Most came up very well, except the Golden Acre Cabbage. It was bad seed. There is not even one seedling. Going to buy seed to replace it, though it's rather late, so I will probably direct seed it outdoors.

   Next week it is supposed to warm up some, so I am planning to do several outdoor projects. One is to establish a cold frame for raising seedlings. I am also planning to rake mulch I received from a local tree service. In addition, I am going to establish a bed for peas, and fava beans. I probably will also head back down to the pig pen garden, and plant peas down there for spring along the fences.

    Does Mache ever get bigger? It is delicious, and I have been putting it on sandwiches, but talk about tiny! It has made it through the winter though! Also I have carrots that have made it through winter, and am hoping the make some carrots for me!


    Above: My Beautiful Muscovy ducks which made it through the nightmare!

     Anyway, as you can tell, winter has been rather an adventure. However, I am so thankful for a new year, and spring which is on it's way!!! Once again, I get a do-over. Thanks to God, for his incredible wisdom in designing the world and it's seasons!

No comments:

Post a Comment