Sunrise At Little Bit Farm

Sunrise At Little Bit Farm
THIS IS OUT AT OUR 30 ACRES! OUR FUTURE HOME! THANKS TO RANDI HALL FOR THE PIC!

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Disappointing Farm Year



   Well things have not progressed very quickly this year. Early in the year, just after getting my garden in, I was called away for six weeks to help my father as he was very sick with Multiple Myeloma, and had fallen, breaking his arm and hip at the sites of the cancer. I was very happy to be able to travel to him, and assist my mother. I took my amazing daughter with me, and she assisted me. I ended up taking over the cooking for awhile, in the hopes of building my Dad's health in the most basic way. Fortunately his cancer is now in remission.

    Unfortunately my garden was attacked with a terminal disease as well, weeds. I have a serious perennial weed problem here, gardening require constant attention to control the weeds. I did get some vegetables, but numerous problems including broken mowers, broken tiller, too much time away from home and other issues created a bad situation for gardening. However, we did get some vegetables.   Praise God that if it is in his will there is always next year!

     However, there are some good things happening. I now have these two: 


Hanz Cody Herondale

         Cody is on a short leash. He has an overly assertive personality, which is going to get him off this farm, as soon as he produces daughters.  He is only here because his Mama was a 2 gallon a day milker. So for the moment he is my hassle. We put some foam balls on his head, but they were the wrong kind and tore off. Getting some more today.

         Mama is not much of a milker so far, but she had almost weaned her baby before I got her. So we'll see how she does next year. I am currently drying her off, mainly because I am not sure if she was bred before coming here a couple months ago. I want to give her two months rest so she has a successful milking year. So she should either kid in January or Febuary if she was bred before coming here, or she will kid in March or April if I'm lucky and Cody is the Papa. Lucky being relative, as that also means I go longer without milk. I have so been enjoying fresh milk the last couple of months, and I really am not looking forward to being without it again. However, sometimes sacrifices must be made to insure greater production later.


No comments:

Post a Comment